Each week in "What 2 Watch 4," Speed51.com will give fans in all four corners of the country four events to keep an eye on in the coming weekend. There are always plenty of exciting events on America's short tracks and we at 51 hope you venture out to a track this weekend to keep an eye on any of these events or others. Have an event that we can preview in W2W4 in the coming weeks? Send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The American-Canadian Tour will host their 250th event in tour history on Saturday, May 17 at Airborne Park Speedway (NY). If the excitement level of the 100-lap event on Saturday matches last year’s finish, the fans in attendance will be in for a treat. During last year’s ACT 100 at Airborne, a photo finish was needed to declare Wayne Helliwell, Jr. the winner over Brian Hoar. Exciting finishes followed in the International 500 and Fall Foliage 200 events also held at the Plattsburgh, New York facility. The first green flag is set to wave at 5:00pm ET on Saturday.
- Hot off of a win in the Lee USA Speedway Bullring Bash, Matt Hirschman will lead the Race of Champions Asphalt Modified Tour into Shangri-La II Motor Speedway (NY) on Sunday, May 18 for a 75-lap feature event. A number of strong competitors including Chuck Hossfeld, Jimmy Zacharias and Austin Kochenash will look to put an end to Hirschman’s momentum on Sunday. Racing will begin at 3pm ET at the New York half-mile concrete oval.
- Autodrome Chaudiere will welcome the PASS North Super Late Models to Quebec, Canada for the first time this season on Saturday, May 17 for the FRAMECO 150. Following his win at Star Speedway, New Hampshire’s DJ Shaw leads the American teams into Chaudiere as the series point leader. Mike Rowe, Johnny Clark and Travis Benjamin are among the American teams to already file entries. Canadians Alex Labbe, Alexandre Gingras and a number of others drivers are expected to defend their home court on Saturday. Qualifying will begin at 5:20pm ET.
- Devil’s Bowl Speedway in Vermont will open their 2014 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series program under the lights on Friday, May 16. Residents of the track’s hometown West Haven, Vermont, as well as nearby Fair Haven, will receive free admission on Friday as part of Devil’s Bowl’s new “Fan First” program. Bond Auto Parts Modifieds, Late Models, Mini Stocks and the newly established SK Light class will all be in action on Friday night. Post time is set for 7pm ET.
- The JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour will make their furthest trip west this weekend for their only appearance at Lebanon I-44 Speedway in Lebanon, Missouri for the Masters of the Pros 144. This will be the second year for this event that will pay $8,000 and a green jacket to the winner of the event. Look for a star studded Pro Late Model field featuring the top drivers in the JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour along with two-time Daytona 500 winner Sterling Marlin and Harrison Burton, son of Jeff Burton who will serve as the grand marshal for the event.
- The ARCA Racing Series will be at Toledo Speedway in Ohio this Sunday for the Menards 200 presented by Federated Car Care. Grant Enfinger will be coming into the event with an 85-point lead over Mason Mitchell. This event will not only feature the top names in ARCA, but some of the young talent working their way up the short track ranks. Some of those names include: 2013 JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour Champion Cody Coughlin, 2012 ARCA Midwest Tour Rookie of the Year Matt Tifft, recent JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour winner J.J. Haley, recent New Smyrna Speedway feature winner Michael Lira and former Rattler 250 and two-time ARCA winner Kyle Benjamin.
- The ARCA Midwest Tour will head up to State Park Speedway in Wausau, Wisconsin this Saturday night for a 125-lap event. Nathan Haseleu will be looking for two wins in a row at the quarter-mile facility owned by Ron & Scott Wimmer. The old track surface has provided some great side-by-side racing in the last two years. In fact, two years ago, Dan Fredrickson and Jonathan Eilen ran side-by-side for the final 50 laps with Fredrickson taking his first of two wins in a row at the track.
- Race fans in Iowa have a busy weekend of excitement between two tracks. The Mid-American Stock Car Series will highlight the racing action at Hawkeye Downs Speedway in Cedar Rapids, Iowa this Friday night with a 40-lap event. Saturday, the stars of the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and West will converge on Iowa Speedway in Newton for the Casey's General Stores 150.
- Pro Late Models return to action the popular Viper Series at South Alabama Speedway Saturday night. Viper Series drivers will aim to take down two-time defending series champion Korey Ruble. Six different drivers have won in the series over the past two years. The first Viper Series race of the year will be joined on the racing card with Modifieds, Street Stocks, Roadrunners, Coyotes, Cuplite and Mini-Sportsman.
- Matt Waltz and Greg Edwards have been the story so far this season at Langley Speedway (VA) and they will get two chances to square off on Saturday night. Each driver has a pair of wins this season and Edwards holds a one point advantage going into the doubleheader this weekend. The night will feature five over divisions on track as the Winged Karts, UCARS, Super Streets, Super Trucks and Enduros will be racing.
- You will get a little bit of everything on Sunday afternoon at Franklin County Speedway (VA) as the track will feature a unique “All-Star” style Late Model feature. Other special features will include daytime fireworks, a bounty on Street Stock driver Danny Bush, who has won the last six races at the Virginia track. In addition to the on-track action, Tickle, from the Discovery Channel show “Moonshiners" will be on hand as the grand marshal.
- Late Models will be back on track at Florida's New Smyrna Speedway as the Pro Late Models will go 50 lap on Saturday night. One of the new faces that will be on the speedway will be the new TRI Development Driver Tyler Thomas who comes from the open wheel dirt ranks. Thomas has run at the Chili Bowl event and this will be his first trip to high-banked asphalt half mile. Racing starts at 7:30pm.
- Meridian Speedway (ID) will host a Military Appreciation night that will feature a IDADIV Penny Gold Rush for the kids. Racing on the track will be just as busy as the excitement off it as Project Filter Pro-4′s, Domino’s Legends, Coors Super Stocks, Team Mazda Mini Stocks, Rookie Hornets and Thunder Dogs will all be running feature events.
- Fans who want to see some racing in Las Vegas this weekend are in for a real treat. The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (NV) will host three nights of racing with Legends and Bandos on Friday, May 16th and May 18th. On Saturday, May 17th the Lucas Oil Modifieds are the main attraction as they will go 75 laps. Also the Super Late Models will circle the Bullring for 35 circuits.
- Shannon Shirley takes a one point lead in the Late Model division into this weekend's doubleheader at Magic Valley Speedway (ID). Other classes running on Saturday will include Thunderdogs, Hornet Skid Plates, Stingers and Big Wheelz. Adults can see the racing for $10.00 while children 12 and under get in for free.
- The first of three Nights of Destruction take place this Saturday Night at Irwindale Event Center in California. The speedway plans to have smash up racing events like Trailer Racing, Demolition Derby, Skid Plate Racing and Two Driver Enduro racing. Tickets are $15 and kids 6-12 $5. Age five and under are free. Regular racing will return in two weeks to the California oval.