Each week in "What 2 Watch 4," Speed51.com will give fans in all four corners of the country four events to keep an eye on in the coming weekend. There are always plenty of exciting events on America's short tracks and we at 51 hope you venture out to a track this weekend to keep an eye on any of these events or others. Have an event that we can preview in W2W4 in the coming weeks? Send the information to email@example.com.
- After a number of special events and touring series openers took place to kick-off the 2014 racing season in the Northeast, weekly racing will begin at a number of tracks across the region this upcoming weekend. Weekly divisions at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME), Airborne Park Speedway (NY), Star Speedway (NH), and Seekonk Speedway (MA) will see the track for the first time this weekend. Oxford will open on Friday night, while Airborne and Star open on Saturday, and Seekonk's weekly warriors will race on Sunday.
- Weekly racing action kicks off at Connecticut's Stafford Motor Speedway Friday night. Continuing a promotion that worked well for the track in 2013, Friday's NASCAR Whelen All-American Series event will be the first "BFF - Best Friend Friday" of the season. Adults who purchase one general admission ticket will receive a second adult general admission ticket for free. The track's NWAAS SK Modifieds, Late Models, SK Lights, Limited Late Models and DARE Stocks will all be in action, along with the 2014 debut of the Legends Cars on the track's infield "Mini Mile."
- Following one of the most exciting races in recent years last time out, the Valenti Modified Racing Series heads to Seekonk Speedway this weekend for their third event of 2014. Todd Szegedy heads into Seekonk with a narrow one-point lead over veteran VMRS driver Chris Pasteryak in the point standings. Rowan Pennink, who is eight points back, will look to carry some momentum over from his win at Monadnock and make it two in a row, while Justin Bonsignore will be searching for his first career VMRS win. Racing will begin at approximately 1 p.m. Sunday.
- PASS North heads into one of their most frequently visited tracks, Beech Ridge Motor Speedway (ME), on Sunday for the Southern Maine Motors 150. 2013 Oxford 250 winner Travis Benjamin will lead the series into Beech Ridge with the points lead following his season-opening win at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME). Heading into Sunday's event there have been eight different PASS North winners in their last eight trips to the 1/3-mile oval. Will we see a repeat winner or Sunday or will someone new visit victory lane and make it nine-for-nine?
- The ARCA Midwest Tour’s sixth annual Joe Shear Classic will take place this Sunday afternoon at Madison International Speedway in Oregon, WI. The question on Sunday is will we see the sixth different winner or will the event have its first repeat winner. Past winners include: Nathan Haseleu (2009), Steve Carlson (2010), Ross Kenseth (2011), Andrew Morrissey (2012) and Travis Sauter (2013).
- Berlin Raceway in Marne, Michigan is getting an early start to Cinco de Mayo this Saturday night. The full racing program, which now starts at 6:30pm, will feature the Super Late Models, Super Stocks, Modifieds, and the Vintage Racing Organization of America. The track will celebrate Cinco de Mayo with buy one, get one free tickets, concession foods, and non-alcoholic drinks along with half-off drink specials.
- Many other tracks are doing some fun promotions for fans this weekend. Midvale Speedway in Midvale, Ohio is offering $1 hot dogs and $1 sodas this Saturday night. Grundy County Speedway in Morris, Illinois will have two for one admission for their Friday night program.
- The JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour will kick off their 2014 season this Sunday at Springport Speedway in Springport, Michigan. Earlier in the week, the series had already received 31-entries for the opener which includes six Rookie of the Year candidates. The door is wide open for a new champion this year and join the elite list of drivers who have gone on to more successful careers. Last year’s champion Cody Coughlin recently earned his first top 10 in the ARCA Racing Series. Daniel Hemric won the Southern Super Series title last year, and Erik Jones is a two-time winner of the Snowball Derby and a winner in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
- This past weekend’s big Super Late Model winners Bubba Pollard and TJ Reaid will bring their Pro Late Models to Gresham Motorsports Park (GA) on Saturday, May 3rd for the Larry Fleeman Memorial 100. Several other SLM hotshoes like Anderson Bowen, John Hunter Nemechek and Hunter Robbins will also head out to the Jefferson, Georgia speed plant. Long-time Peach State racing supporter Larry Fleeman will be honored in many ways on Saturday night including having the family’s No. 98 ride contested in the event with son Russell Fleeman behind the wheel.
- Can Grant Enfinger make history with four for four in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards? The Alabama native now calling North Carolina home has won the first three events of the 2014 season at Daytona International Speedway (FL), Mobile International Speedway (AL) and most recently Salem Speedway (IN). A win in the International Motorsports Hall of Fame 200 at Talladega Superspeedway (AL) on Saturday, would make Enfinger the first driver to win the first four events of the season in the series’ storied 62-year history.
- The Mini Stocks will be the premier division at New Smyrna Speedway (FL) this weekend as they will run a 50-lap main event feature for a $600 payday. David Russell currently leads the division point standings by just eight markers over Pat Wells. The Pro Late Model, Sportsman, E-Modified and Strictly Stock divisions will also be in action at the central-Florida NASCAR Home Track.
- Matt Waltz has some unfinished business after the Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown last week at South Boston Speedway. The Newport News, Virginia driver will be a tough competitor to beat this weekend at Langley Speedway (VA). He's already got a win and a second to go along with him Hamlin experience. He'll have two cracks at a trophy as Langley Speedway will run twin 75-lap races in Late Model Stock Cars and 20-lap UCAR races. Pro Six cars and Grand Stocks will also be in action as racing starts at 7pm ET,
- The SPEARS SRL Southwest Tour saw Derek Thorn take the win at The Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway the last time the series visited in November of last year. Thorn has not been to victory lane since that race and hope he can outduel upstart point leaders Jeremy Doss and Brandon White. Racing starts at 7 with the final slot on the card reserved for BlackJack 121. A total of eight races will entertain the desert crowd.
- Evergreen Speedway (WA) saw Michael Holden return to the driver seat and to victory lane after having not driven a Super Late Model in almost two seasons. Holden will have to wait a few weeks before he gets a chance to race again and a few more to race on the big track. In the meantime there will be racing this weekend at Evergreen as the Stinger Nationals will be in town for $500 to win. That will make up a full night of racing that starts at 6pm PT.
- Drivers will do anything they can to get their car fast at Stockton 99 Speedway (CA). David Mayhew was at Kern County Raceway Park (CA) making laps on the quarter mile in preparations for the tight bullring. Mayhew will not be running a Late Model this weekend, but instead he'll be in his NASCAR K&N Pro Series West race at Stockton 99, the Stockton 150. An interesting stat finds that no driver entered in the field has led a lap at Stockton. The race will fire off at 8:30pm.
- It will be Racing with Nebraska Transport night at Colorado National Speedway this Saturday. Late Models will be in action with the Super Stocks Legends, Trains and Circle Drags. The Late Models will be prepping for their upcoming 75-lap race on Friday, May 24th as where the Super Late Models will go 100-laps the next night on May 25th as a part of the big doubleheader weekend which will feature fireworks on Saturday.