Each week in "What 2 Watch 4," Speed51.com will give fans in all four corners of the country four events to keep an eye on in the coming weekend. There are always plenty of exciting events on America's short tracks and we at 51 hope you venture out to a track this weekend to keep an eye on any of these events or others. Have an event that we can preview in W2W4 in the coming weeks? Send the information to email@example.com.
- The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour heads into their third event of the 2014 season on Friday night at Stafford Motor Speedway (CT). Justin Bonsignore, the winner of the season-opening Icebreaker event at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT), leads the Mod Tour into Stafford with a slim two-point advantage in the point standings over Doug Coby and Woody Pitkat. Last year’s champion Ryan Preece will be looking to turn things around after a tough start to 2014 and get back in the championship hunt following Friday’s event. The green flag is set to wave on the Harley-Davidson 125 at approximately 9:15pm EST.
- After nearly two months off since their season-opening event, the Granite State Pro Stock Series heads into Monadnock Speedway (NH) on Saturday for their second event of 2014. Defending series champion Mike O’Sullivan, who will not be running a full schedule in 2014, carries momentum into the Winchester, NH bullring following his season opening win at the Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park Icebreaker. 2012 champion Bobby Cabral, Matt Frahm, and Dillon Moltz are among others to file entries. Racing begins at 6pm EST on Saturday night.
- Sunday will be an important day for Vermont Late Model drivers who hope to chase the Vermont State Late Model Championship and 2014 “King of the Road” title at Thunder Road Speedbowl (VT). More than 35 ACT-type Late Model are expected to enter Sunday’s Memorial Day Classic, which serves as the season-opening event for the VT Late Model Championship Series and weekly Late Model division at Thunder Road. A lot will be at stake for drivers when racing begins at 1:30pm EST.
- One of the most exciting weekly programs in the Northeast begins on Saturday night with three divisions on NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway (ME). Healthy field of Super Late Models, Super Series, and Wildcat cars are expected to entertain fans at the 1/3-mile Scarborough, Maine oval. The green flag will wave to kick-off the 2014 NWAAS season at Beech Ridge at 7pm EST on Saturday night.
- The JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour will make their annual Memorial Day weekend visit to Columbus Motor Speedway in Columbus, Ohio this Saturday night. The Agroscapes 100 presented by SizzleMarine.com will be the third point event on their 2014 schedule. J.J. Haley will be coming in with a three-point lead over Dan Leeck in the standings. In fact, only 14 points separate the top-five in what is probably one of the more competitive seasons to date for the tour in its fourth year. Racing will get underway at 7pm on Saturday night.
- The top two Midwest Super Late Model Series in the Midwest will, once again, join forces this weekend for the Calypso Lemonade Border Wars II 150 at Illiana Motor Speeedway (IN) this Monday afternoon. This will be the first time that the Schererville, Indiana half-mile oval will host the combined event featuring the stars of the ARCA Midwest Tour and ARCA/CRA Super Series Powered by JEGS. There is a practice session scheduled for Sunday, May 25th from 2-6pm. Racing action will get underway at 2:30pm on Monday, May 26th.
- The Big 8 Series will officially open up their 2014 season this Monday afternoon at Columbus 151 Speedway in Columbus, Wisconsin with a 78-lap feature event. Gates open at noon with qualifying at 12:30pm Racing at 2pm.
- TUNDRA Super Late Models will also have their Round Two on Monday afternoon at Golden Sands Speedway in Plover, Wisconsin. Gates open at 11am with qualifying at 1:15pm. Racing at 3pm. www.tundrasuperlates.com.
- Can anybody beat Bubba Pollard? Chances are he will face a tough batch of competition as the Georgia driver enters the Southern Super Series double at Five Flags Speedway (FL) and Mobile International Speedway (AL) having won his last four starts. Pollard will be going for three in a row in the Blizzard Series at Five Flags, which would be a record. Five Flags will be in action on Friday, May 23rd with racing at 8pm CT. Mobile will fire off at 7pm on Saturday May 24th.
- For fans in the Citrus County Speedway (FL) area it's been a while since the Super Late Models have his track in Inverness, FL. Nevertheless they will be back on track this weekend for a 50-lap show that will include Street Stock, Pure Stock, Hornet Pro, Hornet Rookie, and Pure/Street Stock F-8. Grandstands open at 4pm ET and heats start at 5:30pm.
- It will be a night of twin Limited Late Models at Southern National Motorsports Park (NC) to go along with the 100-lap Late Model Stock Car event at the end of the night. Hard to imagine at this point in the season that 2013 track champion Deac McCaskill has not yet been to victory lane at SNMP. McCaskill has posted three runner-up finishes, two to Lee Pulliam, and sits only 12 points off the lead. Racing starts at 7pm ET as Grandstands open at 2pm ET.
- We don't want to say it's an early runaway, but Peyton Sellers and Matt Bowling have been solid at South Boston Speedway (VA). This weekend the top two men in points will have to race each other for the lone victory, as they are not running double features. The 100 lap race could go to Sellers the point leader or Bowling the second-place point man. They swept the weekend last time out at Caraway Speedway in North Carolina. A talented field of drivers will be looking to shut these two out of victory lane come Saturday night. Limited Late Models, Pure Stocks and Champ Karts will also be racing.
- Kern County Raceway Park (CA) will host the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West division at their track for the second time. Last fall was the return of the popular series to Bakersfield, California as Greg Pursley went to victory lane. This year the west series will make two stops at the new track. Pursley enters the event as the series point leader over David Mayhew who not only finished fourth last year in the Kern County West race, but also won the tracks Late Model crown. Grandstands open at 3:30pm PT with local features at 5:30pm PT. The Kern County Armed Forces 150 will go green at 7:35pm PT with fireworks to follow.
- The Shock Top 125 at Hermiston Super Oval (OR) is up next on Saturday May 24th for the Tri Track Super Late Model Series that features Hermiston, Yakima Speedway (WA) and Wenatchee Valley Super Oval (WA). After three races Garrett Evans is on top the standings as a total of 48 drivers have raced in the first three shows. Evans will be going for his second win in four starts.
- Memorial Day weekend will feature two nights of racing at Colorado National Speedway (CO). First up the Late Models will go 75 laps as the headliners on Saturday, May 23rd. One night later the Super Late Models will be on the track for 100 laps with three other divisions racing that night. Dominic Ursetta won the last SLM race and took the point lead. CNS will also have fireworks on Sunday night to go along with the Super Late Models.
- All American Speedway will be racing on Memorial Day Weekend with action on May 24th. In an effort to show appreciation the track is allowing Active Duty and Retired Military personnel get in free (with showing military ID at the ticket booth). Racing that night will include the Modifieds, Street Stocks, Bombers, F4 and Hardtops.